Thursday, April 28, 2011

Judge Judy.

There is more to me than blonde hair, blue eyes and a smile. Idea: we stop being superficial and actually listen to people. Who was it that ever told us it was ok to make accusations and assumptions about people based on their appearance.  I find people judge too easily. Before someone even opens their mouth, we’ve made a judgment about them. Dear old Mother Teresa once said it best…

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them."

I’m understanding, empathetic and I always give people the benefit of the doubt…always. I may be forgiving and kind and unfortunately some people I’ve found over the years, take that as a sign of weakness. This, they believe, gives them the opportunity to walk all over me. Let me reassure you, this is not a sign of weakness, but a sign of my strength. The more compassionate I am, the bigger my heart is and the more my capacity to love and grow. Being kind is opportunity, it is a strength. It is being cruel that is weak and pathetic. Cruelty, jealousy and anger will hold you back.

But I am who I am and I feel what I feel and I won’t change. I like that I care too much about people and I’d rather be kind than cruel. I’ll smile at a stranger, be kind and polite, understanding and meaningful. I wouldn’t feel right if I looked at the world through eyes of anger and envy.

But I am not a pincushion. I am not someone who can be walked all over. I do not judge before I know someone and I think that takes heart. I refuse to judge a book by it’s cover because it always brings me back to what people would think about me. Some days I have bad days, when I’m grumpy and my head is flustered. I can be short with people, have a temper or even a bad hair day. If people judged me on my bad days…they would never want to get to know me.

"Great minds talk about ideas. 
Average minds talk about events. 
Small minds talk about other people." 
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Blonde hair, blue eyes and a smile. An obnoxious laugh and silly quirky lines. That’s me. I care too much and I’m passionate. This, I’ve found, frightens people. I’m actually comfortable with who I am. I’m aware of my strengths. It’s a take it or leave it kind of draw. I am more than a girly girl. I can make people laugh and feel comfortable and welcome. I am passionate and persistent. I am smart. I am strong...I like that I can lift weights, and that I can lift a lot more than some guys can. It makes me feel powerful. I hate that when I step foot into a gym, men instantly think I’m useless in the lifting department. I love when I show them wrong.
I am powerful and persistent. Optimistic and outgoing. I’m caring, kind and considerate. I find too often we are so quick to jump on where we fall short, that we forget our strengths. Trust me, I know I have weaknesses and flaws, many…too many to write down but I’m choosing to not focus on them, what is the benefit in that? Do I know what my weaknesses are? Yes and I’m working on them. But I’ll surround myself today with the good qualities about myself and I will not judge today.
Each person is different, the way they communicate, the way they dress, our worlds are different. Life would be awfully boring if we all were the same and if we all agreed on everything. We need to pick our battles, so who are we to judge? 
I ask of you, don’t judge me, don’t create a story about me and who I am. Don’t underestimate me and what I will do and what I am capable of. There is no better feeling than doing what you are told you cannot do. Especially when the limits are drawn so low. There is no better feeling than surprising people with what you are capable of. Especially, when the person you surprise most, is yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers